The temple of Garni is a classical hellenistic temple in Garni, Armenia. It is perhaps the best-known structure and simbol of pre-Christian Armenia. It is the only known Greco-Roman colonnaded building in Armenia and the only standing such building in the former Soviet union. The structure was probably built by king Tiridates 1 in the first century AD as a temple to the sun god Mihr. The precise construction date of the temple is unknown and is subject to debate. The dominant view is that is was built in 77 AD, during the eleventh year of the reign of king Tiridates 1.
Geghard is a medieval monastery in the Kotayk province of Armenia. While the main chapel was built in 1215, the monastery complex was founded in the 4th century by Gregory the illuminator at the site of a sacred spring inside a cave. The monastery had thus been originally named Ayrivank. The name commonly used for the monastery today, Geghard or more fully Geghardavank. Most visitors to Geghard also choose to visit the nearby the pagan temple of Garni, located further down the Azat river. Visiting both sites in one trip is so common that they are often reffered to in unison as Garni-Geghard.
Kecharis is a medieval Armenian monastic complex dating back to the 11th to 13th centuries , located 60 km from Yerevan. Kecharis was founded by a Pahlavuni prince in the 11th century, and construction continued until the middle of the 13th century. In the 12th and 13th centuries Kecharis was a major religious center of Armenia and a place of higher education. Today the monastery has been fully restored and is clearly visible from the sky slopes.